Thursday, June 30, 2011

Tough Choice

I've been working on to finish my New Testament class so that I can graduate--finally!

Doing so, I've been reading a lot about Paul. I've thought a lot about his work and missions, and the large amount of work he did to teach Jewish converts that with Christ the old law was fulfilled. Understandably, after hundreds or thousands of years of Judaism, there was some difficulty in breaking old traditions. Many of these traditions were based in good principles and there was no harm in them being practiced. The harm came from the insistence that these practices, now obsolete, were forced upon non-Jewish converts to Christianity, with the insistence that these practices were essential to salvation.

I distinctly remember the branch President in Constanta giving a talk on Easter Sunday about accepting the new testament of Jesus Christ and putting away the old traditions of the Orthodox church. He offended quite a few people with his insistence that the Orthodox Easter traditions did not need be followed--one of which being that the first words spoken to anyone (for two weeks) did not need to be "Hristos a inviat" (Christ has resurrected) and the response "Adverarat, a inviat" (True, he resurrected). Much like the insistence of some of the early Christians that the ritual of circumcision must still take place for salvation, this ritual of proclaiming Christ's resurrection causes no harm--it may, in fact, be something we *should* do--but it is not essential to salvation. To accept the restored Gospel most Romanians must put away their old traditions--it is commonly believed that St. Andrew (the Apostle) brought the Gospel to Romania.

I also really enjoy the writing of Peter. I believe that Peter's testimonies (especially the one in 2 Peter 1) are incredibly powerful. I struggle to decide if I'd rather hear Paul or Peter preach. Or Joseph Smith.


Also, 190 (in two hours) until Molly and I marry. I can't wait.

2 comments:

Pat Gibbons said...

190 what? Days or trips to Minnesota?

rantipoler said...

This was a great post. Thanks for sharing. And hooray for the wedding countdown! :)